Sunday, October 08, 2006

Romeo & Juliet


"Romeo & Juliet" - 5 x 7" colored pencil on gallery wrap canvas.
Click here to bid.


I felt a little silly today in the grocery store, as I always do when I'm in the produce section. Why? Because people watch me pick out my fruit. It takes me a very long time. It doesn't matter if it's ripe, of course, it matters that it's beautiful or streaked with gold, or whimsically twisted in an artistic way. I bought three pears today, because their stems were so nice and twisty.

I hate eating pears.

But it's a compulsion. Must - buy - pretty - produce. Must - paint - quickly! And then of course there's the whole thing where you get home and the rest of the groceries sit on the floor getting room temperature while I hurry my fruit over to the window while the light is still ideal.

My husband is very tolerant.

See what I sacrifice for my art? My sanity.

2 comments:

Paintdancer said...

Very funny! You sound as wacky as me! I love your paintings, especially the kitties.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thanks . . . I am quite wacky. Drunk on the wine of life, right? Or something . . .