Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Waterhouse, Continued



"Sketch of Woman after Waterhouse"


"Pose #4"
Just so y'all don't think I'm neglecting my Waterhouse project for this month. I am indeed working - slowly - but working nonetheless.

Last night I decided to try a sketch in Waterhouse's sketching style. After a few false starts, I finished one. I discovered that he sketches the exact same way he seems to paint - in light strokes that follow the curve of his subject. If I imagined that my unfortunate young woman was covered with hair, for instance, and followed the direction of the imagined hair growth, I had a start towards working in Waterhouse's method. He also outlines his edges with a less than delicate touch, lending an illustrationy look to his sketches and to his finished paintings.

And the second uglier sketch is yet another reconfiguration of the pose. I think I'm getting closer to what I want - I'm going to move the woman closer to the horse and put her back to the viewer, I think. I like the pose of the woman from Burton's "The Meeting on the Turret Stairs" so I'm considering something like it. I like the idea of one faced forward and the other faced away.

I'll never have this done by the end of March . . .

1 comment:

Kathy C said...

Just got my Horses in Art for Spring. Bravo Maggie!