Saturday, May 19, 2007

And I'm Not Even Menopausal


"The Beautiful Goodbye" - 11 x 14" colored pencil on drafting film.
Copyright 2007 Maggie Stiefvater.
Private commission.

Am I the only girl under the age of 50 who has problems regulating their temperature? Seriously, I go through more wardrobe changes in a day than Britney Spears during a concert. While I watch my husband and children happily play and work in the same wardrobe every day, I'm constantly adding and subtracting layers to make up for my changing temperature.

"Are you hot?" my husband asks, as I throw a long sleeved shirt off and grab a tank top.
"No, I'm practicing my strip routine, idiot. Do you like it?"

1 hour later . . .

"You're cold now?" my husband asks, as I trade in the tank for a hoodie sweatshirt.
"You aren't?"

1 hour later . . .

"You're hot again?" my husband asks, as I take off the hoodie and replace it with the long sleeved shirt again.
"Middling hot. Not hot enough for tank top."

This has got to stop. Every time I tell myself to grin and bear the temperature changes I'm feeling, that they're all in my head, my inner child throws a tantrum and kicks until I swap clothing. I know I should be firm, but she's so cute when she gets what she wants . . .

9 comments:

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

LOL ... this sounds exactly like a conversation I would have with my husband, but, being 49, I have a good excuse!

Hmm ... are you sure you're not pregnant? :)

Jo Castillo said...

I'm too old to remember those power surges. :)

The painting is great and tells a good story. Nice work.

Jout

Rita said...

Whew! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only gal in her twenties that goes through this. The sad thing is that I've been like this since, well, puberty.
I keep telling myself that when I get to menopause it'll regulate itself....or not, and then the Other Half is in for one heck of a ride.

Love this commissioned image, it's very touching as I had a friend who said the last good-bye to her aged horse not too long ago. Fantastic work Maggie!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Karen AGGG don't say things like that! I have TWO TODDLERS!

Thanks, Jo. It was a sad piece to do, knowing the story behind it.

Rita, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. It was college when I really started going temp crazy.

Quilt Knit said...

I have been that way all my life. When I finally became menopausal, I was in the car taking my children to school. It was cold. I had on my favorite blue jean coat, long sleeves, etc. It was in Memphis, TN and it was bitter cold winter day. I nearly wrecked the car getting out of my coat and long sleeves.
Right now, I am in my lounging wear with a heavy sweatshirt on. Doctors have no clue about women.
Now Doctors say there is no medical reason for women to experience the monthly(?). Guess they are all Gods. Just another way to regulate women.

Linda said...

:-D The trick is to wear a strappy camisole under a button up blouse or sweater. Blue jeans -- loose enough so that the air can move and shoes that can slide on and off in a second. I have the age excuse on my side, albeit a bit early, but have a young friend who is going through rough temp changes and she's in her 20's. You are not alone!

The painting is marvelous (I'm imagining the sad story ...) And I've SO enjoyed your art marketing tips -- they are really very insightful.

Angela said...

How beautiful! :)
*HUGS*

Chumplet said...

I started that nonsense in my late thirties. A couple of years ago I sat in a diner with a friend, and the sweat started rolling. I tried fanning myself, mopping my face with a paper towel and saturating it. Finally, the waitress asked if I was all right. I asked for a glass of ice water and almost dove into it.
On hot summer nights, my husband is freezing. He won't let me turn on the air conditioning or use a fan or open the window, so I either leave the room or sleep with a freezer pack against my neck.

Anonymous said...

You write so humorously, I love it. (strip routine comment). I don't know what to tell you, since I am menopausal and have been feeling what your describe for about eleven years now.

I love this painting -- sad, but wonderful how you captured this moment. A moment to common to most horse owners at one time or another -- how did you know?