Monday, June 25, 2007

A Week in the Life of a Vendor


I'm baaaaaccck! After six days of peddling my wares at the Roanoke Valley Horse Show, I have returned weary, triumphant, and a couple of pounds lighter (hmm . . . sounds as if I was a participant in fat camp instead of a vendor at a horse show). If you learn nothing else from this blog, know this: show food sucks.

So, I'm sure all of you are dying to know what I was doing during my stay in the lovely Roanoke Valley (oh, and it was lovely too - mountains everywhere and all sorts of nooks and crannies where secrets could hide). Well, burn with curiosity no more. Here is a summary of my week:

MONDAY: Arrive early, set up booth, and discover that there is no place on the grounds to acquire sweet tea. Weep bitterly.

TUESDAY: While drooling, watch hunters and jumpers for better part of the day as traffic indoors is slow. Remember, belatedly, that "do not covet" is included in the Catholic rule book. Drive ten miles to get sweet tea.

WEDNESDAY: Cunningly buy sweet tea on the way to the show in the morning. Discover that the food at the show is the worst show food ever invented. Coincedentally discover that a Krispy Kreme is located seven minutes from the show ground.

THURSDAY: Sell lots of stuff. Crave donuts. Try not to pounce on spectators carrying Pepsi products (repeating in my head "I will be strong. I don't need Pepsi. I will be strong. I don't need Pepsi."). Realize I should've brought along more prints as I've sold all I've brought. Weep bitterly.

FRIDAY: Argue with Priceline for three hours on the phone over hotel reservations. Vow to burn Priceline corporate offices. Back at the show, run out of interesting and sincere ways to say "Thank you" when complimented on artistic technique. With other vendors, grow increasingly slap happy.

SATURDAY: Get sweet tea and Krispy Kreme donuts on the way to the show. Eat donuts for three meals. Sell lots of stuff. Get to watch the $50,000 grand prix in the evening and decide that I am truly in some sort of heaven, so God must've forgiven me for coveting the hunters earlier in the week. Realize the irony of finally figuring out a good routine on the last day of the show.

SUNDAY: Get Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast. Drive four hours home, fall in hubby's arms, and live happily ever after.

Until next time . . . rinse and repeat . . .

6 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

I want a donut now. Did you bring any back for the rest of us?

Rita said...

Sounds like a good week Maggie! Umm, I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to show us some of the Grand Prix pics...I will "weep bitterly" if there aren't any.

I like the wookie woogums picture at the end, the kind of dog that should be equipped with a bib at all times. :D

Dee said...

Welcome home :)

Oh to have the issue of finding new ways of saying thank you ;)

Quilt Knit said...

Well, If you were that busy, I my ebay stalker artist will never get to you. Krispy Kreme means you did not have any dunk'n donuts of key lime pie and Lemon pie donuts with lime and lemon icing with the Doodles on top. ( I like to call them doodles.) Sweet Tea and Sugar donuts, 3 meals a day. You were flying! How could even consider the Evil Darth Vader Cola? Boy, glad you sold everything. Next, pack some prints into a mailing package for overnight delivery. Husband knows how to find Fedex Kinkos or UPSP? Right? No weeping that way. Sounds like tons of fun.

Sherrie

Quilt Knit said...

Well, If you were that busy, I my ebay stalker artist will never get to you. Krispy Kreme means you did not have any dunk'n donuts of key lime pie and Lemon pie donuts with lime and lemon icing with the Doodles on top. ( I like to call them doodles.) Sweet Tea and Sugar donuts, 3 meals a day. You were flying! How could even consider the Evil Darth Vader Cola? Boy, glad you sold everything. Next, pack some prints into a mailing package for overnight delivery. Husband knows how to find Fedex Kinkos or UPSP? Right? No weeping that way. Sounds like tons of fun.

Sherrie

Jo Castillo said...

Well, Miss Maggie, sounds like a good trip. Love the photos. Can't have donuts, but the idea sends me off for some sort of chocolate that I can have, thanks.

Jo