Tuesday, August 14, 2007

20,000 Leages Under My House

Sketch for Musicians Piece - in my sketch book (which remember, once it's full, I'm drawing a random member of my blog subscribers and giving it to them - so if you're a reader - subscribe!)
Colored Pencil on paper.
Copyright 2007 Maggie Stiefvater.

Y'all may remember that my computer crashed last week, sending me plummeting eons behind on my shipping and commission work. Well, as insult looks best when accompanied my injury, today the water company showed up on my front door step and inquired as to how my family had managed to use 160,000 gallons of water in the past month.

I normally have a fast answer for most questions, but that one made me stop and think for a moment. Obviously, the first response that popped into my head ("to wash down 160,000 bags of potato chips?") wasn't appropriate.

So I followed the Water Guy out to our water meter, which he said was spinning like a front wheel car on a wet road (I'm paraphrasing) when he'd first checked it. Well, the sucker wasn't moving when I got there. Appliances tend to behave when I'm around. They know I'm always up for a good appliance-smackathon.

"It was spinning," insisted Water Guy. "And you have used 160,000 gallons of water. I think you might have a leak."

Ya think?

He then looked around our dust ridden yard as tumbleweed blew gently across the dunes and camels pined for want of water and asked if I'd noticed any large puddles lying around. I didn't tell him that the only puddles I'd seen lately were the ones of barf left by my morning-sick dog. I did tell him I'd call my landlord. I did thank him for sharing my usage of hundreds of thousands of gallons of water with me.

Now I'm sitting in my house and wondering if I'm about to sink into a bottomless pit of water and the potato chips I used it to wash it down with. Ah, these stressful times . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to work for the local water company and you wouldn't believe the reasons for excessive water usage. Neighbors filling their pools using the house next door's hose, back yards turning into sinkholes, illegal crops being grown in basements, sprinklers that turn into geysers, etc. :)

Wendy said...

Perhaps all that water has been leaking through to England, whence all their floods? :)

I wouldn't mind a good potato chip right now though.

Debbie said...

Had a similar thing happen once. Got a bill from the water company for several thousand dollars. You can bet we were right on the phone. They added everthing up and decided if the pipe had been completely broken in 2 right after the meter in would take about 4-6 months to use that much water.

Anonymous said...

I think the problem must be with the meter, they never consider it might be their problem. I hope your landlord pays the water bill. Time to start yelling at someone maybe. Good luck. Barb

Maggie Stiefvater said...

I like Barb's idea, because it's what I WANT to do anyway - start yelling at someone!