Monday, August 27, 2007

Secrets of the World Revealed . . . Sort Of

"Checking out the Competition" - 4 x 6" colored pencil on Bristol paper.
Copyright 2007 Maggie Stiefvater.
Click here to bid.

Y'all should be flattered. I spend 2.5 hours today working on creating a detailed work in progress for you guys, pausing every so often to take photos of the wondrous maggic that is my technique, imagining your shining faces when you opened up your inboxes to find the wonder of this illustrated education.

Except my photos sucked.

I didn't have enough light in my studio for my camera to take nice pictures so I got a bunch of weird-colored things with no real value, like a tartan-colored possum.

But I'll throw them up for you anyway, to make of them what you will. Um, good luck.








6 comments:

Katydid said...

Thanks for the WIP! The horse is beautiful.

SHERI C said...

I see you are a color pencil artist who works top left to bottom right. That way the horse almost always gets started first! Haaa. The BEST part! This is a great piece and it was "maggic" to see the steps as it came to life. Great job!

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

Thanks, Maggie! I always like to see how other artists work ... I love these progress photos. I found the last 3 especially informative – showing the layers of colors you use to develop the back of the rider's coat and the body of the horse. Beautiful detail!

I also wanted to put in my 2 cents' worth concerning your choice of new mattress (though you probably already have one by now). Just like Heidi said in her comment on your "sleeping on the edge" post, my husband talked me into getting a sleep number bed 3 years ago and we LOVE it. More than worth the extra initial expense. And a very good friend of mine recently got a memory foam mattress and she LOVES it.

Anyway, keep us posted and let us know what you went with, mattress-wise!

Robyn said...

It's treat to have a WIP from you Maggie. The horse is gorgeous in this one. I have no idea how you achieve this is so little time. My jaw is still on the floor.

Josephine said...

Wow, beautiful. Interesting to see your steps, they are so different from what we are taught in University art classes.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Kate - thank you!

Sheri -- too true. I am a sucker for doing the fun parts first.

Karen -- you're right, I should've done more photos showing the layering steps.

Robyn -- thank you so much!

Josephine -- are they!? I've never had formal art training so I sort of guess at all my techniques. There are several more work in progress photos that show better examples of the layering. I think if you click on the tag "colored pencil technique" they'll come up.