Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Streetscape in Progress

"The Streetlight" - 16 x 20" acrylic on canvas.
Copyright 2007 Maggie Stiefvater.
Click here to bid.

Tonight was Gordon Ramsay and Kitchen Nightmares so no long blog post tonight! I'm just going to post this work in progress series of my latest cityscape and I'll catch y'all later!


Just a brief description of my thought process for my painting (each photo's stage represents about 20-40 minutes depending on the complexity).

1. Rough in shapes in the color/ tone that I want the finished painting to have.
2. Adjust values: light, dark, & midtones and start to work on color. Refine shapes with each pass.
3. Continue refining shapes and begin to block in with my stained-glassesque black lines.
4. More refining of shapes and adding complexity to colors. For instance, where I've blocked in orange before, I mix a better orange with a bit more nuance to it.
5. Nearly there. I add complementary colors to make it pop - bright green and blue.
6. I tidy up my black lines and make sure all edges are tidy and make sense.

4 comments:

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

VERY cool painting ... it fairly oozes atmosphere!

Thanks so much for the WIP and description of your thought process. I know how hard it can be to stop every so often to take a photo, especially when you’re “in the zone”!

Serena said...

Thanks for sharing this WIP with us, Maggie. It's always very helpful to see another artist's process. Wonderful painting!

Nicole Caulfield said...

Love this one Maggie! It really has the night look and has great perspective!

Quilt Knit said...

Thanks it a beauty. Going to Ramsey now.
Have a good night.

Sherrie