Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Mattress Paid for by Fairies

"The Library" - 12 x 16" colored pencil work in progress.
Copyright 2007 Maggie Stiefvater
email me to preorder prints

Last night was my first night sleeping on a mattress paid for by fairies. Regular blog readers will know that I recently sold the rights to my first fairy novel to Flux and that I was going to use part of the advance to buy my husband and I a new mattress. Well, I did just that, and last night was the first night on it.

It took a bit of getting used to last night. For starters, it's one of those pillow tops, which means it's taller than our old mattress. A lot taller. But it looked comfy, so I pole-vaulted on up there and gasped a bit, my lungs adjusting to the thinner atmosphere.

Huh, I thought. This is strange. Where's the dying animal sound that normally accompanies my arrival in bed? This new mattress, unlike our old groaning one, was silent and glad to see me. I could almost hear it saying in a pleasant air stewardess voice: welcome to your new mattress bought by fairies, maggie stiefvater. we hope you have a pleasant night with us. we're planning a nonstop trip to morning.

So then I lay down to find my first comfortable spot of the night. Then - gasp - I didn't wake up until eight this morning. That freaky air-stewardess voice in my head hadn't been kidding on the "non-stop" part. And my eyes didn't feel gritty when I opened them. Could it really be morning? As strange as the painless awakening was, imagine my shock when I looked in the mirror and discovered I had no bags under my eyes. I was beginning to think those babies had moved in for good.

And the best part? My hair looks fab. I couldn't figure out why this was until I looked at the neat and tidy sheets. Sheets that hadn't been tossed and turned in. Hair that hadn't been teased into a rooster fro by fretful pillow rolling.

I almost don't feel bad that I bought this mattress instead of a Camaro project car. Almost.

Anyway, you're probably wondering what the images are all around the text. Well, my lovely publisher Flux is having my cover and title meeting on the 16th and they've invited me to send in cover and title concepts for consideration. Of course this has led to me creating a great deal of digitally pleasing trash (you've seen some of it here) and depositing it in my editor's inbox. "Stolen" and "The Midnight Bird" are my latest two suggestions and the rest are ones that I made look slightly more official from before.

The girl with the key was the most popular one last time -- how about now? And which title grabs you the most?

17 comments:

Cheryl A. Pass said...

Definitely, still, the girl with the key! And title...I like "Bidden."
Good luck with this book!

Cheryl

Debbie said...

The top one jumps out at me the most. Grabbed my attention right away.

Serena said...

I do still love the girl with the key, however, the top one with the eye and the dove grabbed my attention too.

Jennifer Rose said...

The cover with the bird and the eye does stand out a lot, the title does goes with the image but I prefer the title Fierce Magic :) The girl with the key looks really nice as well. Hard to pick with so many choices :)

Robyn said...

The Midnight Bird would be my choice of title and cover - intriguing but accessible. Good luck!

ACEO's By Rose said...

I like Fierce Magic... my vote! :)

I know what you mean about the mattress, the first time i slept on my new one (pillowtop) I thought I'd have a nosebleed I Was so high up!

i know you'll love it though!!

Good luck and let us know which one of the titles/artwork makes it!

Casey Klahn said...

I'd need to see the titles without graphics, and vice versa. But, I quibble. The fact is the whole thing is too exciting for words!

ohio linda said...

In my FWIW ...
I like the title :
the midnight bird
but
with the last dove (the really 'cool' one!)
or (being so non desisive...)
the midnight bird - but without the lower picture of the bird - just the eye with the dove reflected...

vivien said...

Midnight Bird followed by Bidden would get my vote :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog, Maggie. Congrats on the book - I'm thrilled for you!

I like the concept of Midnight Bird, but it's too literal for me. Maybe if the photo had some grunge and the bird stood out and the face was it the background, or vice versa, that would give it more of an air of mystery and intrigue. It's very striking as it is, but doesn't seem to draw me in.

I really like Fierce Magic. I think the art and the title both work very well. I would want to pick up that book and get a closer look. I also like the title Stolen with that art. I think it works well with the key around her neck.

Dee said...

The midnight bird: interesting title, but the eye is putting me off somewhat. I'm just betting as I'm writing this that it's going to turn out to be your eye, isn't it?

Stolen: looks like a cover for a teen romance book

Called by Name: I find appealing but suspect it would not have appealed to my teenage self

Fierce Magic: I have the feeling having magic in the title might be a mistake, although I still like the picture :)

Walk a deadly path: love the picture, not sure on the title

The Killing Dove: is an interesting conundrum of a title, a very unusual pairing of words. I'm not a fan of the pic though

Bidden: I still quite like this one, picture and all.

I've bought a lot of YA fiction lately and they all seem to have black on their covers - I don't know if it's better to stick with that trend or buck it...

And we just got a new mattress too, and it took me 2 weeks to get used to it! I'm glad yours was a much smoother transition. I still have to pole vault to get in mine.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Maggie, I gave away the pillow top bed and went back to normal. Too many nosebleeds from the altitude!

I like "Walk a Deadly Path", maybe because I am usually a mystery reader.

Good luck,
Jo

Meg Lyman said...

I like "fierce magic," but I like the tennies in the clover image. Girl with key is close second.

Quilt Knit said...

I really do not know enough about the contents of the novel to say which title is best. The key is still very nice, as Ireland loves its objects. Having a solid reasonable object that stirs the pot is a very powerful statement for a novel. The key gives concrete connections to the story and Fairies. Fairies are always into stuff. Fairies attach themselves and then Poof! They attack in Fairy ways. Always cause havock for the poor Normal walkers of Earth.

Sherrie

Quilt Knit said...

Oh! Glad you got the pillowtop mattress. Now! your dreams will come back.

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Midnight Bird and Bidden are top two favorites, and Bidden being the top one of those. Helen Scott in North Carolina

frank said...

I own a Memory Foam Mattress and it’s wonderful! Best bed ever! I have a lot of sleeping problems and it solves all but my girlfriend’s snoring! I think the government should pay for everyone to have Memory Foam Mattresses!