Thursday, January 24, 2008

Complements That Have Already Made People Feel Good

This post took me far too long to do, partially because it took me forever on my dial-up to access all the links people had given me and partially because half the links didn't properly work and I had to work my butt off to figure out where I was actually supposed to go. But I've finally gotten around to it, and hopefully this will serve the purpose of both illustrating some complements at work and also giving some shout-outs to some of my blog readers who make this blog a better place with their comments.

Those who are just appearing can find the original post on complements here. I asked blog readers to send me links to pieces (of theirs or from other people) who intentionally used complements. So here they are. If you click on them, it should take you back to the original page the art appeared on.

Here are the contributors:

Vivien Blackburn. Her seascape is using blue/orange complements and while it's pretty, I cannot emphasize strongly enough that y'all should head over to her blog and look at her other stuff, because some of it is positively transcendental.

Jo Castillo. I love this artist because she has a sort of unflagging, indefatigable web presence that is always inspiring. Her pears are a green/ red complement pair. Whoo pears pairs! I'm enjoying following her sketches on her blog these days . . . makes me want to doodle and sketch more.

Casey Klahn. His blog, The Colorist, is always informative and well written, and he does some amazing stuff with pastels. He's also got another helpful blog on the nitty gritties of art fairs that I recommend to art fair newbies. His piece here is using pinks and light greens -- yes, people, those are complements as well.

Karen Mathison Schmidt. Her cat piece here uses blues and oranges, and it is nice . . . but not as nice as some of the really loose, blocky pieces on her blog. She has this one that I really want!

Barbie Bud. If for nothing else, I would love Barbie for her wonderful comments! But she's a promising artist too -- her piece here is blues and oranges (seems to be a popular set of complements). If you look at her blog, check out her use of darks . . . we could all learn something from that understated palette.

Meg Lyman. Check out this quirky guy! Red/ Green -- see how powerful that color combination is? Meg is a very competent artist with a fascinating peculiar style that I can't seem to look away from. :D


Melanie Rich. I actually hadn't visited her website before today, but I'm glad I did. She's got a cool, blocky style that appeals to me and her fishy piece fits into our complement theme as well - more orange/blue popping.

Christy Branston. At first I thought this piece didn't really illustrate complements well, but then I read her explanation again: "Everything seemed really dull until I read about combining yellow with purple, so I tried putting purple on the white flowers, and that made the flower pop right out from the yellowish leaves." And it's true. It did work.

And of course, thanks to Katherine and Cooper for their suggestions (Cooper, I couldn't get your Wolf Kahn link to work), and to Dhara for recommending I take a look at the Munsell Color System, which is another version of the color wheel worth looking at. I actually like his complements better and think that they're what I tend towards anyway.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Maggie, Thank ye, thank ye, for the compliments about my complements and link. These are all such good samples and great artists. Some are new to me and I will be checking them out more.

My painting is hidden on my webpage, but I will do a blog about it tomorrow, because besides complements it has an interesting story about value and temperature.

Thanks again for all your instruction and help in our quest to become good, ah, great artists.

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

Many thanks, Maggie, for the mention here!

And for all your hard work with this post; you had to have put a lot of valuable time into this and I think I speak for a lot of us readers when I say we really appreciate you! Some of these fellow artists I already knew of and visit their blogs regularly, but a few are new to me. I’ve just spent a very enjoyable and informative early morning wandering around all their blog sites.
Oh, and I LOVE the “Royal” piece which you posted yesterday ... awesome movement and color!

Melanie said...

Wow! Thank you!... I feel very special to be included in the midst of such incredible artist.

And thank you for all the info you post on your blog ~ it is most enriching! Definitely a place I come to every day.

You mentioned on your last post doing more info for artist - and my vote is for 'developing your style'... i still dont feel like i have mastered that yet. i feel like my work looks so vastly different from one day to the next... and i think it could be because i am still in the early, early, early phase of my artistic journey... so any info you can provide would be sponged up by yours truly!

Thank you again!

Meg Lyman said...

Wow, thanks for the feature! All of those links were a pleasure to browse, and it's been fun and educational to see how other artists use complements - not just the masters.

Casey Klahn said...

The best compliment, coming from you, is that you like my writing. "The" Maggie Stiefvater of published fame!

This post looks really attractive, and I very much appreciate the time you took to do it.

vivien said...

Maggie, thanks for the mention and I loved seeing such a variety of artists - some I knew some I didn't, which was great :) - another interesting read

Barbie Bud said...

Hi Maggie, Looks like we have lined up to thank you for including us in your article on complements, I'm honored. I also agree with Melanie I also would like to see something on developing your style as I'm still trying to figure that out. You're so great to share all your secrets. Thanks again, Barb