Tuesday, April 22, 2008

In Which Maggie Goes Wild

"dude sketching"
copyright 2008 Maggie Stiefvater
in ye olde sketchbook.

Or at least feral. I was going to do two more series weeks as usual for the remainder of April but I decided to go wild. See, in between a wild deadline for BALLAD (did I mention that I was given 90 days to write a novel by my relentlessly cheerful editor) and other fun stuff that I cannot yet mention, I have not been doing many pieces of art that I can show on the blog.

That, my friends, must change. Even if I can't do large pieces, I still want to be stretching my artistic brain. So I am going hog wild for the next two weeks, and hog wilder for the next month. Through the rest of April I am going to be seriously attacking my figure drawing skills. It's something that's not at all natural to me, and it's something I very much want to be good at. I mean, you guys are my species after all. I should be able to draw you. So my goal is to post at least one quick figure sketch every day on this blog. Whether or not I'll have something intelligent to say . . . well.

And for May, I've decided I'm going to study three artists every week. Unlike my usual fare, which is safely dead and gone, these will be any artists that I find absolutely inspiring (feel free to post any suggestions in the comments)(if you nominate yourself I will virtually claw your eyes). In each post, I'll try and do a mini analysis of what draws me to their work, what I'd like to take away from their technique, and what I learned in general from them. I'm hoping to come out of May with a complete draft of a novel and a recharged artistic battery.

Sound good? Can I hear a booyeah? Who wants to do it with me?

12 comments:

Tania said...

Hey, although I'm studying a "safely dead" artist right now (Joseph Wright of Derby) I'll be moving to Canadian printmaker, David Blackwood, in May: http://www.tanianault.ca/thescratchboard/2008/04/07/april-fools/
Although there's no way I could study three artists in a week... you animal you. I'll be lucky to get through Mr Blackwood by mid-May (I'm something of a research freak).

vivien said...

sounds a great plan :>) and Kurt Jackson and David Prentice will of course be 2 of mine!

Amy said...

Mary Casset is my lady of choice for figure drawing. I love working in pastel, so that makes studying her even better.
I have been trying to do a "drawing a day", but so far it has been "sketchy" :).
But, the good news is that I do art everyday!
My goal has been to have a somewhat finished piece at the end of each day.
So, yes, I will join you. Amy

Amy said...

Also, if you don't mind ,I would like to add you to my links. amy

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

Good for you for tackling the human figure! (so to speak.) A brave undertaking, not for the faint-of-heart. I’ve slyly managed to avoid it for the most part (unless absolutely necessary) since college art classes, and that was ... um ... well, a long time ago.

And 3 artists a week ... you’re a true inspiration, Maggie! No to mention my time management idol.

I’m really looking forward to seeing your sketches. :)

Sandy J said...

look at this guy's work, http://www.seanbeavers.com/pages/Index.html . i studied with him at NHIA for a few years a while back for figure studies and i find his work inspiring and he is a living artist. cheers, sandy

Emily L. said...

Hi Maggie, I know I've already told you about Pat Averill, but some of your readers might also enjoy her work. I had the pleasure of taking classes from this wonderful colored pencil artist. See www.pataverill.com. Also, I checked out Sean Beavers' web site. Wow. That guy is good.

Meg Lyman said...

Wow, you really are inspiring. Do you get all that energy from the sweet tea and cookie dough?

I suggest Will Bullas.

Deborah Ross said...

I nominate Brenda York and Arlene Pratt. I love their bold and quirky work. Check them out; I'm sure you'll like them, too.

Katherine Tyrrell said...

If you're studying figures then I strongly recommend that you study Sally Strand's work.

How about if I do a blog post about how I draw figures when I'm out and about?

Bonnie Luria said...

Hi Maggie- love these sketches while waiting. Too fidgit-y to read, while waiting, love to people watch , so what better thing to do.

Can you tell me what you use to sketch with- is it graphite, carbon or some other only known to Maggie substance?

Love your amazing blog and all its' content. Do you have any idea how many people you jump start every day!!?

Becky Vigor said...

Love your idea of daily sketches. I really would love to improve my figure work too, but right now I'm kinda snowed under with sheep! I hope to have a go over the summer though. Looking forward to your artist posts. Are you just featuring painters or other media too?