Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Farewell to an Era

I know I've been terrible on keeping to my own schedule these past two or so weeks, but I'm in the process of doing a Major Life Shift of the sort that you don't really ever see coming and as such, it sneaks up and bites you on the back of the calf with pointy, stalactite-shaped teeth before you even notice it came in the doggy door with your cat.

I should hurry to say that this isn't an Unpleasant Major Life Shift (UMLS -- I mean, it even sounds bad as an acronym, doesn't it? Like the noise you'd make after licking an ice cream cone and finding out it was seafood flavored). Quite the opposite. Probably the exact opposite, actually, although PMLS sounds a lot like an unpleasant time of month and doesn't fit with the spirit of the thing at all. And I will give you the full details on it later. I just can't yet.


The upshot is this, though. I'm going full-time with my writing for the foreseeable future. I'm going to keep sketching and drawing for my own enjoyment, and to keep learning, and I'll still be offering workshops and doing works for the gallery that represents me in Richmond. I'm actually looking forward to the experimenting.


And I'll be keeping up this blog regularly, still posting several times a week -- probably with sketches most of the time, with only the occasional full colored pencil piece. And there will probably be a lot of silly anecdotal posts of the sort I used to do almost every post.


But that's not the real purpose of this post. This is: I was going to close my commission books for the foreseeable future, but I've decided I'm going to take on just two more and then, unless an act of Congress intervenes, I am not taking on any new portrait commissions for the next two years.


So if you've been dying for a Maggie Stiefvater portrait . . . this is your last chance for the next two years. My e-mail for commissions is here and I'm taking only the first two I get (held with a deposit). And then the books close for two years.

(all images this post copyright Maggie Stiefvater)

9 comments:

Katherine Tyrrell said...

She's serious folks!

Now I don't suppose it matters if the commission is animal vegetable or mineral - or even a small child?

Becca said...

*sigh* I guess I'll be waiting for two years to get a drawing from ya ;_;

However, congraduations on going full-time in the writing world! Keep up the inspiration my dear! :)

jackie said...

Maggie, Good Luck with the writing! I'm excited for you. I'm glad you'll still be posting to this blog, so we can all put away the black mourning clothes, LOL.
Initially I was holding my breath but as I read on I could give a sigh of relief. I look forward to your postings.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

It sounds intriguing enough to keep my interest.
I love the horse portrait. Dramatic and beautiful.
Good Luck!

Jo Castillo said...

Whew! The first little bit of your post was scary. Congratulations on the success with your writing. I am so pleased for you. Applauses, applauses. I am happy, too, that you will keep up with your art and will keep on blogging. You are such an inspiration to us. I know you are the same to your writing buddies and will have much success in that world, too. I send the biggest (easy for me) hugs to you and wish you the best.

tracywall said...

Congrats on the life-changing decision! I bet it feels good to make the committment. I'll miss your art, but like others, I'm so glad you'll remain here on your blog. You're my roll model!!

Best wishes in your new adventure. May all the right words easily roll off your tongue!

Clever said...

Gee..the opening of your post sounded as though you might stop blogging. But glad to hear you will be around yet! Also, good for you in your writing career.

Beth said...

Like the others said ... I will miss your blogging about art, should it cease. You need to do what is best for you with your time, but your blog is one of the ones I come back to often, because I enjoy it so much.

Beth

ujwala said...

congratulations! i hope though that writing wont keep you away on long breaks from this blog.