Monday, September 15, 2008

The Reason for my Disappearance REVEALED

So I know you guys think that I've abandoned you and this blog for Lament, but it would take more than that, my dear readers. I've had a good reason since back in May, I just couldn't announce it until now.

But it's official in Publisher's Weekly now, so here it is:

Abby Ranger and David Levithan at Scholastic prevailed in a multiple-round auction for world rights to Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver in a two-book deal with Laura Rennert at Andrea Brown. This YA novel describes the first love between a 16-year-old girl and a mysterious boy who spends his winters as a wolf and is fighting to stay human as the temperature drops. The 26-year-old Stiefvater has a YA novel, Lament, just out from Flux, with a sequel to follow. Shiver will be published in fall 2009.


This means that I've been working hard with both editor Andrew at Flux and Abby & David at Scholastic since then, and the amount of the deal means that I'm doing it full-time -- no art at all for income purposes. I'm still pinching myself on that front.

But that also means that this blog is going to have to change. I've given a lot of thought to this, and I think this is what I'm going to do, unless someone else has a better idea. Tomorrow, I'm going to officially announce the date of my sketchbook giveaway for blog subscribers and announce the end of this blog as a purely art blog.

From Wednesday on, this blog will mirror my blog on Livejournal, which is a mix of writing, life, and art. I understand if it loses me some subscribers but right now, that's what my life is. I'm planning on doing more close artistic studies later in the year, but for now, the emphasis is definitely on my writing.

So . . . um . . . yeah. That was longer than I planned for it to be!

17 comments:

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

We're so happy for you Maggie.
Of course I'm stickin' around.
I've got to see what new great things you're up to.
:)

Beth said...

I shoulda been reading your other blog all along. I really enjoy your twisted sense of humor. :-)

Beth

Tania said...

Sincere congratulations, Maggie. How could we be disappointed? After all, your original "About Me" previously described you as a visual artist and, "more importantly" as a writer. We were duly warned :-)

- Tania

ps. I'm gonna keep reading.

Wendy said...

I'm so so pleased for you Maggie, you know how I feel about that story! Congratulations and I'm just so so soooo pleased for you :D

Jenna said...

I'll be staying around, Maggie! Congratulations :) I've been reading Lament, can't wait for the sequel...and I will read Shiver too...so here's another subscriber you won't be losing :)

jandismall said...

Congratulations, Maggie! I'm reading Lament -- it is wonderful! -- now and making a list of all the people I know to whom I'm giving it as a gift. I'll certainly continue to hang around -- both here and at your LiveJournal blog. Please write faster!

Katherine Tyrrell said...

There's another jolly good reason why Greywaren Art should not disappear - and it's spelt out in Maggie Stiefvater goes Scholastic!

:D

tracywall said...

You go girl!!! Follow your heart! (I doubt you'll lose anyone.)
Best wishes in new adventures!!

nyxs said...

congratulations maggie ... it is well deserved! As of this afternoon i can tell you that you have one devoted 15 yr old girl who is already begging for the next book in this house.
I thought i would read it first .. I never got the chance it was snatched from my hands the minute the package was opened and silence prevailed in this house of two kids and a bookworm. I used to have 3 kids ..

I am enjoying the peace ..

freebird said...

Great news for you. We all change (or should) with time and circumstance. You are growing into a different phase of your art. Frankly, I must find YOU interesting as just art isn't enough to keep me coming back to a blog. I like to get the feel of a person there too. Congratulations on your new venture and growth.

Casey Klahn said...

And to think that I knew you, Maggie, before you were "The Maggie Stiefvater".

Congratulations and keep it up!

Jo Castillo said...

Congratulations! I will be around, too. Wishing you more success!

stacey maddock said...

super news!!! here are some conga-rats for ya! can't you just see them dancing? its all for you ;)

tlc illustration said...

Big, big congrats and best wishes! Wow, and good for you...

I think your blogging on creativity in general applies equally to visual or written arts - so not so much of a departure methinks. :-)

Looking forward to your further adventures.

Barbara Pask said...

I think your success is wonderful and well deserved. I'm not going anyplace, are you kidding I have to check in to see what's up in your exciting life.

Robyn said...

Excellent news, Maggie! I'll keep reading because I'm sure there'll be even more stunning announcements in your brilliant future. Congratulations - you are the best example of 'the harder you work, the luckier you get'.

Still waiting for the Italian post to deliver my copy of Lament.

Sue said...

Well done, this is richly deserved, you are an inspiration to me and many others - I'm not going anywhere!