Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Where Maggie Is Now

Hi folks! I know it's been forever since I posted to this blog, but I figured that it was time to let you know what I've been doing. As you guys know, last year I sold my book, SHIVER (well, it was called STILL WOLF WATCHING back then) to Scholastic. I realized that I never came back and told you what happened.

Well, this week is the release week for SHIVER, so it seems like an appropriate time to tell you about my year. And this year . . . it's been insane.

This is what has happened.












I've been to New York City three times.


I've signed hundreds of advanced review copies of both SHIVER (August 1) and BALLAD (October 1).



I got a new sketchbook and have been filling it with sketches made in airports.




And in airplanes.





I've been to Chicago for the first time.





I've been interviewed for television, for podcasts, for blogs, for newspapers.





I've met hundreds of people who have already read my books.





I've signed hundreds of finished copies of SHIVER (and found out the interior ink is all in blue!)





My dogs and Moose have seen my author's copies arrive.





I have this week seen my book in stacks all over bookstores and folks have been sending me photographs of piles of SHIVERs in stores all over the country.


In my favorite indie, Fountain Bookstore:




In Barnes & Noble:





At Anderson's in Chicago:





And I've still been doing art, just in a slightly different way:




So that's me. I've been blown away by what's happened with this book -- a starred review in Publisher's Weekly, picked as Borders' August Original Voices pick, a Junior Library Guild Selection, and an inbox full of fanmail already.

I have been incredibly lucky to have some of you readers follow me over to my writing blog on Livejournal, but I should mention it is now also mirrored on Blogger.

And I'd like to give away a signed copy of SHIVER to one of my old Greywaren art readers, if you guys are still around -- so let me know in the comments if you want to be eligible for the giveaway!

I hope everyone's doing well and still creating art and still pushing towards their goals!

28 comments:

Julie said...

I'd love a copy of Shiver! Congrats on all your writing success!

Joanna said...

"...one of my old Greywaren art readers..."

Old???? Well, next to you, I suppose I am. Nevermind.

Hi, Maggie. Jo Castillo's daughter here. 'Started reading your art page 'cause she kept pointing it out. I'm very glad you're doing so well with the book-writing thing but do miss seeing the other art.

visioneerwindows said...

Yes, also miss seeing your horse and other animal artworks - but many congrats on your writing success...

Dee said...

It's been such a long time! I thought the email was a mistake... :D Congratulations on all your success, it is well earned.

Kimberly B. said...

Congratulations on all your success! I've heard wonderful things about Shiver, and I adore its trailer!

Natalia said...

Maggie, congratulations on your success! I miss reading your wildly entertaining and informative posts about your artwork but I'm very, very happy for your writing triumphs. You are so incredibly gifted and hard-working that I had no doubt you would be successful in anyything you tried your hand at (come on, how many writers can make stop motion art and compose music for their books' trailers?). I would love to see a post like this every couple of months or so. Is that too much to ask?

P.S. Oh, and I would absolutely love a copy of Shiver.

Sonia said...

It doesn't sound as if your feet have touched the ground this past year. All your success is due to your dedication and hard work which was always evident in your art blog (which is sadly missed).

Please put my name down for Shiver (but will also keep an eye out for it in the UK bookshops). Long may your success continue!

Sonia said...

!!! Still struggling with technology!!

Alison said...

Yes, I'd love a copy of Shiver. Congratulations on all your success and fun! Amazing. It is good to hear from you. I would pass the book around the kids at the Coffee House we run and let them read it.

Jennifer Rose said...

I'd love to read the book (hmm hopefully a library around here gets one soon if I don't win)

congrats on all the book success!

Debre said...

Thanks for the update. It is thrilling to hear about your success! Wishing you more of the same in all your endeavors.

Gaylynn said...

I was thinking of you the other day. congratulations on your success! I have missed your art and your humor.

Jo Castillo said...

It has been awhile, thanks for posting here. Congratulations big time! We miss your paintings, but are so happy for you. You are such an inspiration.

Heidi Malott said...

Wow! Congratulations Maggie. I was just wondering, recently, how things were going. I would love a chance to win a signed copy of Shiver. All the Best, Heidi

Karen Mathison Schmidt said...

Hey Maggie! I've been checking in now and then at your writing blog ... thanks for catching us up over here on the visual art end!

Congratulations! Your dedication and hard work have really paid off .. and heck yeah, sign me up for the "Win a copy of Shiver sweepstakes"!

I love all the pics (esp. moose & the dogs with the books) and love, love, LOVE the trailer. I was wondering if you wrote the music, then I saw the credits.

Any plans to release a CD along those lines for us to listen to in our studios while we create our art?

b said...

Congratulations, Maggie!

Kitty said...

Miss your wonderful art, but LOVE your books! Thanks for checking in on the visual art side of your life! Your paper art is pretty incredible. I do miss hearing about your pups and Moose, of course.

Lara Harris said...

Wow!How truly awesome for you!I'd love to win a copy!
Congratulations!!

Michele Sommers said...

Of course would love a chance at a copy, though if I see it before that happens, I'm buying it... I wish I had gotten a signed copy from you before you got HUGELY famous!! So happy for you, this is so exciting!!

ujwala said...

so happy to see that you're still making time for sketching. : )

Kathy C said...

Probably too late, but put me in the drawing if not!!

Congrats on the NYT I am SO SO excited for you.

*(skips merrily away to order Shiver)*

Angela Finney said...

Congratulations on all of this glorious success. Wow, NYC three times -- and it was your goal to just go once, LOL. Put me in the drawing for a chance to win a copy of SHIVER.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Not too late, Kathy! I'm doing the drawing on Monday!

Thanks so much, everyone, for the kind words and for stopping by again after all this time!

(and yes, Karen, an album is sort of in the cards, one of these days).

Christy said...

Congrats on #9 Maggie! I'd love to be added to the draw for Shiver.

Signe said...

Congratulations Maggie! You are truly a successful multi-dimensional artist. Greatly miss your paintings and art blog. Would love to be entered into the Shiver draw.

Wayne E. Stiefvater said...

I've been following your great success from Paris with daily messages from Google Alerts. Congratulations!! I would love to have a copy of Shiver, and free is always better than the alternative. ;-) And I am waiting for translations of your books to appear in French and German. I will return to the US this November for several months; then back to Paris for another year, just to grind off a few more of the many jagged edges of my French.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thanks, Wayne! Unfortunately you just missed the contest, but I can tell you that German translation is coming out next Fall! I think the French translation is coming out next year too, but don't quote me.

BethDazzled said...

That mongo SHIVER cover is awesome! I hope you swiped that.

PS Good luck on FOREVER edits and try to get some sleep. I know it goes against your writerly ways, but we don't want you dosing off at book signings. ;)